A

A

Tuesday 8 March 2022

Greenfinch Distraction

Sometimes the simplest of distractions bring the most complexity of joy. Not the best photograph I've ever taken but a quick snap (out the office window before it flies off) of a greenfinch on the feeders this morning. The second time I've seen a greenfinch in the garden this week, but the first time in many years.


As with many common birds in my childhood the greenfinch has suffered a dramatic decline in numbers, though unlike some other species where habitat loss or disturbance are at play this mournful songster has been hit by a parasitic disease known as trichomonosis. It's a common disease in other birds but began to be noticed in garden visitors around 2005-2006, with the thought being that increased bird feeding can accelerate the spread picked up from dirty garden feeders. Ironic really that we put food out for the birds, and inadvertently make them ill. 

What's for certain here in this area of Somerset is that I'd not seen a greenfinch around the house for many years, nor chaffinch come to that. Looking through my wildlife diaries, these two species were here regularly until around 2010. After that just the occasional sighting and in the case of the greenfinch that soulful song of theirs on a windless day, and so reminiscent of my childhood, simply disappeared.  Astonishing to comprehend that in my lifetime a species that when I was growing up used to be quite numerous in our Country Durham garden now languishes on a red list due to the severity of declining numbers.

The disease affects many other species; chaffinch as mentioned which has also suffered a 25% decline recently, sparrows, dunnocks and great tits, the latter of which I saw with physical signs of the disease last year. The parasite affects the throat and gullet and can be physically deforming with growths on the feet or beak. Affected birds struggle to eat, becoming emaciated and although not necessarily fatal and birds do recover, many die through poor condition, starvation or increased predation which in itself can spread the disease into birds of prey and then back into the food chain. 

All pretty miserable stuff, but today I managed to get a quick photograph of this greenfinch and it brought back the positives. I'd also noticed a couple of chaffinches in the garden recently, maybe then this disease is either less prevalent in this region, or those birds now returning are carrying a certain level of immunity.  I've still not heard a greenfinch calling, but only last week a 'pink pink' of a chaffinch could be heard. Later it's song drifted across the garden. As a child my parents had a permanent caravan which was surrounded by trees. There chaffinch were very common and that 'pink pink' sound they make when alarmed takes me right back to that time. Happy days with not a care in the world. Todays greenfinch looked in super condition, there's hope then others are lurking in the fields beyond the garden wall to bolster the numbers this spring. Spring is definitely arriving here with this newly constructed carrion crow nest in the back field too.


This carrion crow nest must be a quarter of a mile away from the house, but in the last few weeks I've been watching it being built twig by twig. They nested in the same tree last year with that nest being destroyed in the winter winds. This pair of crows use the fir tree at the bottom of my garden as a lookout post and I watch them fly back and forth to the nest, which I think is now complete. I get better views using my telescope and I've seen the female head poking over the rim in the last few days, though she wasn't there today so not sure if there are eggs in there yet as it is still a little early. I hope then they raise a good brood this year. Last year they raised four, who after fledging would noisily come to a neighbours roof to be fed by both parents. It was highly entertaining to sit and watch these youngsters scrabbling about on the roof, wings flapping as they slid and fell down the tiles before flapping back up to the ridge. Eventually though they got the idea and would sit on the roof ridge waiting for the parent to return which was always heralded by noisy squabbling. At night they roosted in the trees just beyond the house and stayed in the area until late autumn.

Spring is here, birds are returning, nests being built, something to look forward to and a welcome distraction as I gaze out of the office window before getting down to work. What better than a few minutes nature fix before the day begins.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew, Greeny is in a sad state here too. In my last house it was the commonest bird at my feeders with flocks up to 40 in the garden. That was probably what caused their demise. Now at this house, they are barely annual in the garden. Ive not had one anywhere on my patch in 2022 so far but maybe as spring arrives one will turn up. I feel they have now evolved away from feeders. I tend to see them at berry seeds such as Rosa rugosa or sea buckthorn while feeders are ignored. Hopefully this will help them increase numbers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a sad state of affairs - 40 to zero, and although you moved, it wasn't a huge distance in the scheme of things. Like many birds we don't realise they're going until we realise they are nowhere to be seen. Luckily I have a large sparrow roost in the roof space so we have a healthy population - around 10 males. Just up the road there are no sparrows in an area where they were seen as a 'pest', the reason possibly the local farm was sold and the buildings now housing not straw littered cattle sheds. Sparrows are very local now and no tree sparrows recorded for over 10 years except on mirgation. Last year was the first since I moved here I didn't have a house martin nesting. Most of the houses around me have new owners who knock the nest off and put up upvc fascia's. I'm pretty sure this colony which arrived with the houses being built in 1997 is now no more. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still see Greenfinches at nature reserves on feeders but here we are lucky these days to get an annual visit. They used to be so common too. We rarely get chaffinches either although I haven't thankfully seen any sign of disease in garden birds.

    Always fascinating to watch corvids nesting. I went a trip out recently to check on a local rookery and it was great to see so much activity there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the weather holds this afternoon I'll pop to the village and count the rook nests. They've been a success as for years there were no nests, last year I counted over 30. Oddly they're spread out over four distinct areas, due to tree cover being patchy but I can see them all from the village hall.

    ReplyDelete