A

A

Wednesday 2 July 2008

I had no idea !!!!

Well I've learnt something today. Actually I saw something at 3am this morning but had no idea what it was until now. For various reasons much too tedious to go into, I was up at 3am this morning sending e-mails to work. Don't worry it's not a normal occurrence, but do you know that feeling when something is floating about in the brain, preventing sleep, so I thought get up, log onto work, send some stuff, go to sleep. So I did and I did.

But after looking at my e-mails at work, a cup of tea was needed. 3am. Note the time. I stood in the conservatory with the foaming brew thinking, blimey sunrise is very early today. As to the north there was a strange blue light, such as just before dawn. But this is an hour before sunrise. I thought no more about it, though I did try and take a photo, absolute rubbish.

However I now know (as it was reported on the BBC news) that this was a very rare cloud formation indeed called Noctilucent basically clouds formed from ice in the high atmosphere/lower space which reflect sunlight from the opposite side of the earth. I love weather but don't understand it, but this was a wonderful sight to behold. Not as good as the Aurora Borealis, which I saw in 1981 in Northumberland, but a canny view all the same.

If you're interested, two links to WWW sites, Wikipedia and someone called Mike Oates.


No reason for this swallow I snapped on Sunday near here, other than as I write, the Swallows and Martins are flying about. A lovely summers evening.

Finally, another strange phenomenon, hedgehog was out and about in the garden at 11am today. Seems strange seeing them in broad daylight, but this is normal at this time of the year, as with so little night time, if they feel secure, they'll be out "huntin' fer them slugs"

6 comments:

  1. Oh I know that feeling Border - maddening isn't it. I managed a couple more hours than you and lasted until 5.00 a.m. - that's beginning to be a habit for me at the mo.

    However, it sounds as though your lack of sleep was well rewarded. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, judging from the pictures I've looked at, that cloud formation must have been quite a sight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of that cloud you saw, is that where the saying 'every cloud has a silver lining'comes from I wonder. I hope I can get to see one sometime and maybe working night shifts sometimes I have more chance to see one? Hope so BW Goosey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tricia, Oldcrow and Snowgoosey. it was a stunning formation, and had me completely fooled. Very rare apparently, so hope you get to see it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post. I didn't know about this cloud formation. I would have loved to see it (although getting up at 3am in the morning doesn't fill me with joy!). The Moth course was really interesting (hope you can make the next one) and we saw lots of nightjars/glowworms plus my flycatcher chicks have hatched (sunday)... lots happening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane, sorry I missed your walk, I got confused as thought it was DWT, then too late realised it was your group. Men - hopeless !! Good to see Snowgoose and Tattyann made it though.

    ReplyDelete