A

A

Monday 10 December 2007

Stormy Weekend - Sunday 9th December (PM)

I'm still not entirely sure why after being buffeted and soaked on Sand Bay in the morning, I had a quick lunch and hopped 10 miles south to the Parrett Estuary off Burnham on Sea, Somerset. I think the wind pounding my head has finally had an effect. Anyway, by the time I got there, the rain had stopped, the sun was up, but the wind was increasing. At one point I nearly came a cropper walking around a corner of the seawall, to be hit by a gust. Using the telescope was entertaining but.......

From the Parrett Mouth to the Sewerage works on the Brue 13.00 to 14.25; Tide out.

Most noticable were the Redshank. I'd spotted 3 then 5, but then at one location 40-45 sheltering from the gale in the lee of a mud bank. At first I'd failed to see them with the bins, but a scope watch of the mud found them, huddled together. In all I'd guess 60 Redshank were in this half mile stretch of river. Close by them were about 10 Wigeon. Also lifted a flock of 100+ Lapwing, again sheltering from the wind in the lee of tussocky grass on the beach. I'd seen a couple but something lifted the whole flock and in the wind they cartwheeled expertly across the mud;

Other Species seen were 40 Oystercatcher on Steart Point (+ 3 on Burnham side), 3 Great Black Backed Gull, numerous Herring and Black Head gull, double figure of Carrion Crow, 3 Mallard, Cormorant, single curlew, 7 Meadow Pipit, 3 Starling, Linnet flock, Chaffinch, Jackdaw, Woodpigeon, Grey Wagtail and Greenfinch.

So in total for the weekend from birdwatching hell, it turned out I'd seen 57 Species, but the redshank had the vote for me. they may be commoner than other waders, but seeing that many was a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment