A

A

Tuesday 9 January 2024

Firecrest in the garden

An unexpected encounter. I found myself idly looking out of the kitchen window this morning when I spied what I initially thought was a goldcrest flitting through the standard hollies searching for food. As I watched it flew into the greenhouse. Imagine my surprise then when upon going to rescue the bird from there I discovered it was the much rarer firecrest. We get a few along the coast each winter but I've never seen one in the garden before. A very nice start to the birding year indeed.

3 comments:

  1. A super start indeed to the birding year especially seeing one in the garden! Firecrest I have to admit are one of my "bogey" birds. I remember once going to a local "twitch" near Tamworth where one had been reported. Look for the bird with the "liquorice allsort" head I remember telling the family but sadly we never did see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Licorice all sorts head, I like it. I think of 'go faster stripes'

      Delete
  2. lol! Both are good descriptions :)

    ReplyDelete